- Published on Thursday, 09 March 2017 06:45
- Written by editor
Pro-Trump politicians are pushing legislation to ban peaceful protests against Trump and his agenda.
Will you chip in to help fight back and stop the criminalization of non-violent protest?Donate now
Since the U.S. election, millions of people have marched in the streets to protest the Donald Trump presidency.
But now, pro-Trump politicians in ten states have proposed legislation to ban peaceful demonstrations like the Women's March on Washington, Black Lives Matter, and the protests at Standing Rock against the Dakota Access Pipeline.
These laws would not only shut down SumOfUs -- they could criminalize the entire grassroots resistance to Trump and his bigoted, corporate agenda.
But we've got a plan to fight back. First, we will continue to march, protest, and demonstrate. We're not backing down one bit.
Second, we're raising money to help cover any legal costs that protestors face as a result of these laws. And finally, we will call out Trump and his allies for this blatant assault on free speech. Will you chip in today?
For years, SumOfUs and our allies have used peaceful demonstrations and protests to confront corporations including Monsanto, Bayer, and Syngenta -- and hold them accountable.
These laws are cloaked in the language of public safety but are really nothing but an attempt to protect corrupt politicians and corporations from public criticism.
And the more you learn about these proposed laws the scarier they get:
- The North Dakota version of the peaceful protest ban would allow motorists to run over and kill protestors as long as the driver claims it was an accident.
- The Indiana law would give police the authority to use "any means necessary" to clear protestors off a roadway.
- The Colorado version threatens demonstrators against oil companies with fines up to $100,000 and 18 months of jail time.
- The Missouri bill is crafted to target African Americans by making it a crime punishable by a year in jail to demonstrate while wearing a hoodie.
This is how fascism starts, and we refuse to back down.
But to keep up the resistance in the face of these threats, we're counting on your help.
Will you chip in today to help keep up the Trump resistance and defray the legal costs faced by any peaceful demonstrators targeted by one of these laws?
Thanks for all that you do,
Jon and the team at SumOfUs
Update: Lawmakers in Ten States Have Proposed Legislation Criminalizing Peaceful Protest, The Intercept, January 23, 2017
SumOfUs is a worldwide movement of people like you, working together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new, sustainable path for our global economy.
This email was sent to s6. |r0